Has Your Son Or Daughter Suffered A Serious Birth Injury?
No parent wants to imagine that his or her child is suffering or has been burdened with a serious disability at birth. When that injury or disability could and should have been avoided, the sense of tragedy is that much greater.
At the law office of Bredell & Bredell, our Ypsilanti birth injury lawyers have represented Michigan families since 1984. As a respected personal injury law firm with a proven record of success in medical malpractice litigation, we have the knowledge, experience and commitment to your case to hold medical providers accountable.
Your Advocates During This Difficult Time
Some birth injuries are immediately apparent, but other serious conditions may not be discovered or diagnosed until months or even years later. This harsh reality, along with other complications, can make litigation and recovery of compensation a serious challenge, as evidence may disappear and memories may fade over time.
As soon as you suspect that a birth injury occurred, seek both medical as well as legal expert opinions without delay. When the negligence of an OB-GYN (obstetrician) or other doctor or nurse has caused harm to you or your child, you need an experienced birth injury lawyer to advocate on your behalf.
Our firm is proud to have established a respected and successful record of service for parents of children suffering from birth injuries, including:
- Brachial plexus injury (Erb’s palsy) — This type of injury can be a complication from shoulder dystocia that causes nerve damage in the arm and shoulder.
- Cerebral palsy (brain damage affecting motor skills) — CP can drastically distort a child’s ability to maintain balance, and it weakens their posture as a result.
- Infant brain damage injuries — This can appear in the form of seizures, trouble feeding, misshaped spine or an abnormally shaped head.
- Complications from delayed cesarean sections — Any delay in a C-section can cause a wide range of injuries such as hypoxia, nerve damage and brain damage.
- Shoulder dystocia — If a delivery is not done properly, the infant’s shoulder can receive too much pressure from the mother’s pelvis, resulting in nerve damage.
- Negligence during labor and delivery — Even a small oversight during birth can have lifelong consequences.
- Hypoxia — Any denial of oxygen to the infant’s brain can cause the child to die or suffer lifelong disabling conditions like CP or seizures.
- Brain damage — Caused by many factors of negligence, including poor reactions from the hospital staff, the consequences of brain injury during labor or delivery can be disastrous.
Birth injuries may be caused by providers’ incorrect response to shoulder dystocia (baby stuck in the birth canal), improper use of forceps or suction, delayed C-section, failure to recognize fetal distress, lack of oxygen due to umbilical cord compression, or a combination of errors and circumstances. The mother can also suffer serious or lasting harm when caregivers fail to monitor her vital signs or to diagnose life-threatening conditions like preeclampsia.
Not every hospital or physician is properly equipped to meet the standard of care required in labor and delivery. Proving negligence is where our experienced legal team comes in.
Learn How We Can Help
If your child has suffered a birth injury because of labor and delivery negligence, you may be owed compensation to pay for the damages and expenses necessary to provide your child the best care and quality of life.
Schedule a consultation at our Michigan locations in Ypsilanti or Jackson by calling our office at 734-274-2876 or complete our online intake form to make arrangements to meet with a lawyer. There is no cost to evaluate your case, and you owe no attorney fees unless we take the case and obtain compensation through a settlement or verdict.